New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

From Dragonfly: A New Day

There's a quote that says something like, "I am a writer, because I write." I had always wanted to be a writer, but never realized that I already was one. I've kept journals/diaries off and on for years. I've thought up stories in my head numerous times. I've, also, always figured that someday I would write a book. I never knew if it would be fiction or non-fiction, just that I wanted to write. My most creative time writing are those sleepless nights. Last night, another night where I woke at 1pm and could not fall back asleep, I wrote. First, I wrote in my head, thoughts of many things going through it. Then, it came to me that I should grab one of the free psychology journals I have out of my locker and start writing it all down. I wrote and then I wrote, edited a little, and wrote some more. In the end, I wrote 9 pages. I couldn't stop until they were all written down and I felt good about it. I suppose I am a writer, because I write.

This evening I start a new class I signed up for called "6 keys to happiness" being taught through the recreation department. It advertises, "turn frustration into fascination." I figured, sounds interesting, mind as well sign-up. It is a popular workshop and was filled up weeks ago. It is one night per week, for two hours, for the next 6 weeks. We were told to come with one goal and three personal changes we'd like to work on. Here is what I've decided on:

Goal: To finish up my PhD (lots of mini-goals needed to get to that goal)
Change 1: Keep in contact through letters better with everyone who is writing me
Change 2: Eat less cookies
Change 3: Meditate and find some calmness every day

There are other ideas I had for my goals and changes. In fact, I'm never short on long-term or short-term goals (as you've probably noticed). So, by tonight, these may be tweaked a bit, but whatever I finally choose, I'm sure it will be okay. As we say in my program, it's all about progress not perfection. So, I dare not say, "eat no cookies," but eating less cookies may result in that. I do not want my change to be something I would give up on with a few days. These are things I need to achieve through knowing full well that I have a higher power and am helped toward the path I am supposed to take, not just the one I desire. We always need to stay flexible enough to see all the possibilities, and to know that it's okay to falter now and then.

I have a lot of hopes for today. The biggest is that I pray my exit summary will, in fact, be completed before 2pm. If it is or it is not, is out of my control. I know that what happens will be okay. I am okay. Today is a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: