New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

From Dragonfly: Support for my Time on Home Confinement

A <slightly edited> draft of the letter I had to write to get myself approved for home confinement:

As requested, this letter is my typed statement of the ability for me to obtain medical insurance/support during the duration of my home confinement. Upon release, I will immediately go to the Affordable Healthcare Act website and sign-up for an inexpensive policy for healthcare coverage. I have been informed that the lowest cost policy is $9/month. Having this coverage, will make me eligible for Enbrel Support, which helps low-income individuals pay no more than $10/month for their Enbrel medication.

At the same time as completing this application for insurance, I will begin the process for medicaid coverage. My home state is an approved ACA medicaid extension state. With my income level, it is highly likely that I will qualify for medicaid and the coverage will be much more comprehensive. As a medicaid expansion state, my state will be able to provide assistance to ex-felons released from state or federal prisons. States have been encouraged to help ex-felons sign up for medicaid and approve them so that continuity of care can be achieved. If my Enbrel cannot be supported by medicaid, Enbrel support has stated that they will work with me to find other financial support for the medication.

All this information has been verified by myself and social work through the computer and phone calls.

--------------
<end letter>

I know that there is a lot of positive and negative talk about Obamacare in the nation, but I for one am a fan. If it were not for this affordable health insurance, I, along with countless others, would be forced to remain in prison due to our medical and/or medication needs. For a woman I know, who has an insulin pump, she will be receiving 6 months of home confinement due to the availability of support under the ACA. She's a good woman and I'm glad she will be given that opportunity to be home with her son. I realize the legislation and options are not perfect. They, likely, never will be. I don't plan on needing to be on federal/state assistance for long. I'm a worker bee, and I will find work and, hopefully, decent insurance. In the mean time, though, this safety net will make it possible for me to continue my care once I am home. Thank god for that and one less worry for my family to have regarding my transition back to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: