New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Friday, August 23, 2013

From Dragonfly Hazel

Upon entry to FMC Carswell, I entered R&D - all arrivals and discharges go through this area of the prison. I was put into a 10 x10 concrete cell with a metal toilet on the other side of a half wall. The door was only closed 3/4 of the way and never locked. I was asked out for various initial meetings before being put back in - medical intake with a physician's assistant (I think he was) where I was told which medications I would and which I would no longer receive, a caseworker who made sure I received the rules and signed necessary forms, etc. I, of course, was asked to strip, put all my clothing into a box, and mail it to someone, which I did. First strip search of my life. I did not complain. I had to squat and spread my "cheeks". I did not complain. I lifted each foot, rubbed my hair, showed the back of my ears, opened my mouth for her to inspect, and lifted my breasts. I did not complain. I had nothing to hide. She gave me my initial uniform - pants that were about 7 inches too long, a loose sports bra, underwear one size too small, a hospital style nurses shirt that was too big. You get what they have. I did not complain. They handed me shoes in my size. One it a dark blue, well worn, and the other used to be blue, but has been washed or bleached a few too many times, so it looks white. I did not complain. I also got knee socks. For the night, I was given a sheet, blanket, towel, soap, shampoo, roll-on deodorant, & a bag to carry it all. I was led to my bed, a half inch thick mattress on metal (you have to scavenger for one of the three inch thick mattresses), and no pillow. No pajamas either. I guess they make you start borrowing right away. I don't want to owe favors to anyone, but survival is important too. I was put into the "Bus Stop", a room with 7 beds (3 bunk beds and a cot). The prison is maxed 2.capacity: and beds are hard to come by. I should be moved at some point. I didn't talk much, unless questioned by a staff member or officer that first day. No matter how much "research" I did, nothing can actually prepare you for the reality of living among 1500+ women with every kind of personality, offense, and some looking at never getting out of prison. Perspective is changed 100 percent. I am okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: