New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Sunday, September 8, 2013

From Dragonfly: And Then We Are Back to 7

We have a new roommate again, Danbury, she was recently transferred here from a closing women's prison. She only has a couple months left on her sentence. She has been in multiple facilities and says that this is the extreme worse of the ones she's been in. I have nothing to compare it to, but she's not the first person to say that to me. I wonder if I would be more active at a different facility. Here, my solace is on my bed, reading a book, with ear plugs in. I've read several books already and just look forward to the next book that either arrives or I check out from the library. They have older books in the library. I will probably donate my books to the library after they've been passed around efficiently. For example, I was sent, "Wool," which I read over a couple days. I then gave the book to Chi, who self-surrendered the same day as I did. Then we gave it to South, who finished it amazingly in two days (it is a long book!), and now it is with Freckles (who self-surrendered the same day as South). Next, it will either go to Danbury or maybe then I'll just donate it. But, every book gets WELL read in prison! Sometimes, you can even walk into my room of 7 people and every one of us are on our bunks reading... it is rare, though, because one of my roommates is an amazing artist and is usually painting awesome stuff and two others love to just listed to their mp3 players. I haven't bought an mp3 player. It is nearly $70 and the songs can cost $1.50-2.00 each. I don't think I want to try to budget for that. I will just get a basic radio for tv... $25. I borrowed a roommates to see if I could pick up an NPR station, but the only non-tv stations I could reach were Christian radio, country western, a couple pop stations, and some conservative talk shows. Oh well.

Danbury has pretty much joined South and I for our meals and hanging around. She's around Danbury's age (I think) and wants this to be her last time incarcerated. I don't blame her. She knows how to cook all the good culinary prison recipes, though, so South and I are starting to enjoy some of our meals (outside the Chow Hall). Yesterday, we had chicken salad wraps for lunch (a combination of bagged chicken, ramen noodles, mayo, spices, and much more). She is making us a potato log next Friday (I couldn't even begin to explain the meal, but it starts with broken up potato chips). Friday is fish day and none of us like fish that much! Nothing we make from the commissary food is nutritious, unfortunately, but it is nice to enjoy a meal now and then. I've officially joined the band wagon of bringing condiments with me to meals. I bought chili garlic sauce, mayo, and jelly. South bought seasoned salt and peanut butter. Danbury has salt, pepper, and tons of other seasonings. We all share with one another. The chili garlic sauce (Vietnamese) pretty much makes everything taste better! I've never been taught how to cook, and what I do make, I make from recipes. Here, though, I'm actually experimenting and finding edible choices.

It's so weird what becomes important in prison, compared with the outside world. Money for commissary is very important, as is money for all communications (email, phone, stamps). Ability to buy just a couple pieces of grey clothing, another important item. Having an insulated mug or a water bottle - very important (although we can enter almost nowhere with them). Shampoo with conditioner, instead of just shampoo, is a luxury. A watch that properly keeps time and has a working alarm is a necessity (I gratefully was able to keep the one I bought ahead of time - Timex Expedition on a Velcro strap). They have been out of their Timex watches in commissary since my arrival. Having good headphones where both ears work is a super luxury. I have not touched an iPhone, tablet computer, or any real technology (except talking through trulincs) since my arrival and I don't really even miss it. Sometimes a light game of Candy Crush sounds good. I miss texting thoughts. I miss the ability to just call someone if I want to talk. But, I write at least two letters every day. I write these emails. Life can accommodate almost any situation. I am learning to accommodate my life to the reality of my day to day. I still believe there's a reason I am here. I look for opportunities to reach out, be supportive, and also take care of myself.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dragonfly Hazel, I really have enjoyed your posts. Thank you for your willingness to open up about every stage of your journey. I have a friend who will be self surrendering in October. I look forward to reading about your reentry into your life and I commend you for all your inward thinking as you serve your time.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments here: