New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

From Dragonfly: New Room, Continued

I had to break in the last post. When an announcement is made saying, "Inmate Recall," it matters not what we are doing, we must all immediately go back to our units. Sometimes, we are told why, most of the time we are not. Sometimes it is because someone from super max has to be brought on the grounds for some reason (medical, trial, etc.). Other times, it is the staff needing a break from inmates to have a "going away" party for another staff member, or something like that. Sometimes it is just because we need to have a meeting. Regardless, "inmate recall" is important and failure to accommodate their request can result in time in the SHU.

So, my new room. I explained the dimensions already. I have three roommates, all who've been here a while. One, Bandana, has been here 12 years (since she was 19 years old) and has some major anger issues (which she immediately told me about). My lesson, do not touch her stuff or get on her bad side. Period. Another, Army (a 22  year Army vet), seems kind, and is either out with her friends or has her earphones on all the time. The one who is my bunky, Braids, is also out of the room most of the time. Thing is, manners don't really exist in prison, and in a space of 75 sq. ft., it is hard when people are rude to one another. Given the lessons I learned in my prior room, I'm keeping to myself and reading or writing. It is no guarantee, but this is likely my room for the rest of my time here. I am still doing meals and spending time with South and Danbury. I hope that continues.

I did not have any quality time with my roomies last night. I had "extra duty" (cleaning the unit) for 2 hours because I was talking with Chi and didn't notice it was 4pm and we MUST be in our room at 4pm. I was about 10' away. Oops. Chi and I both got "extra duty." After an hour of cleaning clean walls, I talked to the C.O. about allowing me to complete my second hour his next night on duty (Monday). I think he could take one look at me and see that I was about to faint (flushed, sweaty, etc.). He agreed. One hour is do-able. Two hours on my feet trying to hold a mop up against the wall is nearly impossible for me. My shoulder joints were so inflamed. Kind of crazy that the extra duty here is not "accessible" for people with medical issues - since this IS a medical facility. I did fall asleep pretty well last night, though. Exhaustion will do that.

Oh, one more update. Yesterday morning, I was told NOT to seek any employment outside of education. They definitely want me as a tutor. Freckles had started before me and she's good too, so it was the right decision to hire her in the classroom I was in. But, there are two more instructors seeking tutors AND that instructor who was super rude to me the other night, well, BOTH of her tutors were fired by the instructor's supervisor yesterday and she is no longer allowed to hire her own tutors. I don't know the story in full, but I know that at some point soon, I will likely work in some classroom in education. That is good enough for me. Never give up HOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: