New to this Blog?

Thank you for choosing to read this blog. I strongly suggest clicking "start at the beginning" on the right column of this page (or from the header if using a phone) in order to follow this blog in the way it was written. Reading backwards from present may not provide as rich a reading experience. Thanks everyone!

Thursday, September 12, 2013

From Dragonfly: FRP

FRP stands for the prison's "financial responsibility program." If an inmate owes fees and/or restitution, they are expected to make payments while in prison. Of course, none of us have much money - we earn $0.14/hour - if we work at all. Usually, an inmate starts at having to make quarterly payments of $25 to their debt. Today, I had a "call out" to meet with my counselor. There were 20 of us in line. Today's topic was FRP payments.

The counselor looks at an inmate's total due, resources, and makes a recommendation for the FRP payments. I was told I would start at $25/quarter, but my counselor asked me to do $25/month. I agreed. No reason to fight something I owe. A person who does not agree to their FRP payments is called a "FRP refusal." They then have a limit on their spending per month ($25) and also can be put into a bed in the Bus Stop as a punishment. Of course, I've been in the bus stop for 3 1/2 weeks now, not for a punishment, but because it was the only bed available when I arrived. I have 2 or 3 FRP refusals in my Bus Stop. They are more than FRP refusals, but are trouble makers as well. That is the goal of the Bus Stop. Every day, I am reminded how "mean" some of my roommates can be. They are especially mean towards me. It used to be a different roommate they harassed, but that roommate finally was able to get out of the room, so they decided I was next. It is brutal and emotionally hard to take in their comments. Today, I have a migraine headache (no medications) and I'm sure that it came on because of how upset I was last night after a roommate started in on me. If they get you in their sights, there is nothing you can do to stop them. I will not fight. I will not tell. Everything caused new problems. So, I write letters, I read, and when I can (if we are not getting ready for count or told to stay in our rooms by the officer), I try to take myself out of the room. Everyone says that my sentence is "short" and will go by in no time. However, I do not want this experience to change who I am.

I figure that is a GOOD thing that I don't "fit in" in prison. Yes, I must keep my sanity, but I do not need to make friends. My friends are the people who write me, pray for me, email me, and are in my heart. As they say, "you walk into prison alone, you walk out alone." My friend, South, was also in the room, but remained silent, although I could see her agitation. Danbury seems to want to be "friends" with everyone regardless of who they are. That's Danbury's way to survive. South and I know that we can't really "stick up" for one another. We must face our own battles here. Bad things can happen to those who speak up.

During my FRP meeting, I wanted to talk with my counselor about changing rooms, the feather pillow, and Sporty not yet being approved for a visit (she bought a ticket to come this weekend). My counselor did say that Sporty will not be approved for a visit by this weekend (note: do not buy tickets to travel to see your imprisoned loved ones until you receive prior approval). Sporty knew this might be a possibility. Unfortunately, she must cancel all her reservations for the weekend. It breaks my heart as I really want a hug and a couple hours away from the daily reality of being here. Even the strip downs after the visit are worth that time with someone that matters. Another time, I guess. My counselor refused to talk with me about any other matters during the FRP meeting, so I must wait in line again at 1:30pm to see him during his open office hours. Prison is a place full of lines and waiting, well at least it is here.

And that's life for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here: